Saturday, October 10, 2015

New Actual Play Online Stream


After ironing out a few details with +Daniel McLaughlin , a tech-savvy player of mine, and upgrading my Internet connection, I decided it was time to broadcast some of the games I run every month.

While we're really interested in exploiting the possibilities that TwitchTV offers we figured it'd be wise to start with Google Hangouts On Air!

+Jerrod Gunning and +David Scott have been doing it for a few years now. I feel these "Actual Play" Savage Worlds broadcasts can be helpful to people new to Savage Worlds and online gaming in general. They use both Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds for VTTs (Virtual Table Tops) with web-cams and mics. Their catalog of "Actual Play" sessions has over a hundred games and has been watched by thousands. I'm looking at adding more options to viewers basically. There aren't any other visible options I know of. That is a shame.

So here I am, ready to make a fool of myself for everybody to see. Awesome!

One of my groups have been playing a Beasts & Barbarians campaign for about a year now. We concluded the first season in September and thought it'd be appropriate to start season two with a broadcast.

The first episode of Beasts & Barbarians is scheduled for November, Friday the 13th at 10pm Eastern time and will be available on Youtube the next day. It will run for approximately two hours and every other Friday. As mentioned before, it will be on Google Hangouts on Air! and the event shared to my circles and the Savage Worlds G+ community. We'll be using Fantasy Grounds as our platform, webcams and mics.

Who's this guy?


Hi there! I'm Eric, aka mask_of_winter on the Fantasy Grounds Forums. I've been playing table top RPG in one form on another since the mid 80's. I started off with the Lonewolf books then moved on to a French adaptation of the German game Dark Eye as a child, As a teenager, our group played Warhammer FRP, Rolemaster, MERP, Vampire, two French RPGS: In Nomine Satanis/Magna Veritas and Bloodlust. This is when I started being the Game Master when I was 15 years olds with Warhammer. I've been the GM almost exclusively ever since.

I discovered Savage Worlds while following Keith Baker's blog at the time where Pinnacle Entertainment Group had just launch their new Explorer's Edition of Savage Worlds. I believe that was in the summer of 2009.

Earlier that year I had started using Fantasy Grounds to supplement my gaming needs. For the last few years I've been living this hobby exclusively online. I run two campaigns and many one-shots each month. During that span, I've met role-players from all over the world and I believe this has made me a better GM. I can't say whether I'm old school or indie in my approach to the game. I like to stick to what I know works for me while staying open-minded and receptive to new storytelling philosophies in order to keep it fresh and fun. I aim for everybody in the group to have fun and I like to think I deliver on most nights. Pacing is very important to me, and so is player input.

***

In the weeks leading up to the broadcast I intend to introduce the players (and their characters) of the group, provide a recap of our Beasts & Barbarians campaign season one and share a preview of what's to come in season two.

Most of the games I run uses the Savage Worlds rules system but I've been known to run some Gumshoe, D&D 5e and Powered by the Apocalypse games from time to time. The Beasts & Barbarians will most certainly be a Savage Worlds game but some one-shots I run on the weekends may or may not be all Savage Worlds. That's why I don't think it would be fair to call all my On Air! Savage Worlds Actual Plays.

We hope you'll be watching!

Updates

Here you'll find links to the previews I've been posting since this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment